Thursday, June 4, 2009

Crater Lake National Park


Oregon, United States
My first of 1,000 places is dedicated to Crater Lake. Had my parents started tracking my progress as an infant, I’m sure this would have been the first place to cross off the list. Crater Lake, only two hours away from my hometown in Oregon, is one of my all-time favorite places. Here one could spend days upon days, just gazing out over the lake and taking in the awesome scenery. The deepest lake in the US also provides this vibrant electric blue water which is unlike any you’ve ever seen. On most trips to Crater Lake, I’ve always taken along someone who is seeing it for the first time. Upon first seeing the lake, the expression on their face is priceless. And they're speechless too.

The best time to see the lake: Any season on a clear day. Most visitors make the trek in summer, although I tend to prefer visiting on a clear winter day when the blue sky, bright white snow, and deep blue water come together in picture perfect harmony.

Favorite spot on the Rim: Near Crater Lake Lodge, the Garfield Peak trail, a great hike up to a lesser traveled viewpoint.

What I hope to do on my next visit: Hike down to the lake and enjoy a scenic boat ride (and maybe even take a little dip in the water!) for a new perspective on an old favorite.

Date of Completion: First visit unknown - at least a dozen visits since!

No comments:

Post a Comment