Saturday, July 3, 2010

Stockholm

The last stop of our wonderful vacation was to Stockholm.  My first trip to Sweden, the "mother country".  I plan on returning to Sweden someday for a much longer visit, seeing extended family, and I hope to return with some knowledge of the Swedish language (where is my copy of Rosetta Stone?).  The Swedes seemed impressed with my 'Tack mycket', but that can only get me so far.


Our day in Stockholm began with a brief bus tour of the city, much of it was spent driving on the scenic roadways along the pristine waterways.  The bus driver pointed out Elin Nordegren Woods' Stockholm apartment, the royal cathedral where the Princess Victoria was married later that month (June 19th), and the impressive Vasa Museum (interesting story - read it!). We didn't get to see the museum, it'll be on the list for next time!


The best excursion of the entire trip was walking on the rooftops of the Old Parliamentary Building in the city center of Stockholm.  It's hands-down the best view of the city, serene yet a thrill!  Throw on a helmet, strap yourself into a harness, connect to a silver rail, and walk along the steel catwalk for this amazing rooftop tour.






Other sights around the city:


National Day of Sweden

Viking Gotlandic Picture Stone (Runestone


We spent the afternoon in the small seaside town of Nynäshamn, had lunch in the quaint town, coffee and then finished the day with a beer on the seaside boardwalk. 

My obsession with checking out grocery stores led me to this -
all the Knäckebröd reminds me of my grandparents pantry!

Why does coffee in foreign countries always look so sophisticated? No paper cup!

Nynäshamn Marina

Local beer

Stockholm was our last stop and as we cruised back toward the UK, we passed under the famous Öresund Bridge linking Denmark to Sweden, the first road link from Europe to Scandinavia. 
We cleared the bridge with just 18" to spare!





Stockholm - Completed June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment